How I become an ESL teacher.


ESL teacher means English as a Second Language Teacher. As we all know many Filipinos know how to speak the English language that's why we have many call centers here and ESL companies. But I know how tiring it is to be a call center agent and go to office everyday to work.

So this post is about my journey how to be a Home-based ESL teacher.

This job is about being an English teacher to the countries that don't speak English well. For example the common countries are China, Taiwan, Japan, Korean and other Europe countries. But to tell you honestly, the first 4 countries that I mentioned are the most common ESL companies here in the Philippines especially in the online job.

You will mostly see a Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese and Koreans ESL companies. 

This is also a honest review about the companies that I applied to.

I will breakdown and tell you about what are the good points of being a Home-based ESL teacher:


  • You can stay and work at the comfort of your home.
  • No need to commute everyday to go to your work. No need of fares anymore (amazing right?)
  • You can spend more time with your family because you are working at your home.
  • You can rest and don't feel so pressure.
  • It's flexible time because you will make your own schedule. (but it's hard to find a good company that  REALLY has a flexible time so I'll tell you later why)

What you need:

  • Of course you need a computer or a laptop.
  • Noise cancelling headset so that the background noises around you will not be heard (like sound of tv, barking of dogs or noise of people or vehicles)
  • But even though, you have that can kind of headset, you still need to have a stable working area, most especially a quiet place like a room.
  • Internet connection ofcourse! (most of the companies required a specific internet connection, so you need to have atleast 5mbps download and upload speed of internet so that you can apply to any companies because you have an enough connection to begin with.)
That's the magic 4 that you will need when you apply to an ESL companies.

(I'm still a student that's why I'm only looking for a part-time job for a while. I already talk this one on my previous post)

Having no experiences of being an ESL teacher or even a Call center agent.I find it difficult at first. So I need to research and feel nervous because I'm still a beginner. But the good thing is many ESL companies still accept even though you have no experiences at all. But frankly, having an experience really can give you confidence especially on interviews and how you handle the situation. But don't worry I'm also a beginner before and I'll tell you how I survived this journey.

The first company that I applied for is the 51Talk.

I passed my resume on their e-mail. I think on the next day I received a call for a phone interview. The funny thing is I'm at the gas station that time so  the interviewer need to call again as soon as I get home. (lol)

The phone interview is about just your personal informations, and the basic questions like why do you want to apply for this job?I feel nervous that time ofcourse! because it's my first time. But actually I passed! I'm happy! So we arranged for the suitable date for my technical check.

I prepared for my technical check and I even wear a blazer in case it will have a webcam interview after. I thought my equipments are enough but it turns out that it's not. Actually I already bought a noise cancelling headset that time but the problem is the connection and the laptop because the system doesn't fit in their requirement. So I was dissapointed. Our connection that time was below 5mbps that's why I told earlier that you really need to have a 5mbps or higher in order to pass the basic requirements.

I convinced my parents to upgrade our connection. I made a deal with them, if I will be accepted I'll be the one who will going to pay the internet connection. So they agreed (haha) After upgrading, I didn't pursue my application to 51talk anymore. Actually, you can still arrange a technical check with them even if you failed the first time as long as you can now fulfill the requirements. But, I didn't continue applying there anymore. I don't like the bad reviews that I see to their company and I don't want to experience that either.

So I researched again other companies, I submitted my resumes to many companies and they sent me a again an e-mail for arranging the date of the interviews. But that time, I chose the Rarejob.

I guess I answered first the test on their website. It's about grammar and logical thinking and it's multiple choice. After you passed that test, you can have an access to their website. You will study the material you are going to teach, the requirements and what will you do before having the demo and interview. Like that. I got confused by it, so to the day of my interview I was interviewed by a skype and it is a video call. So being a first timer like me, I feel very nervous and awkward. They asked again my experiences, about my self and my information. After that, I passed again the interview and proceed to the demo lesson. I didn't study the material enough but it was very easy but my demo was not smooth enough. I did made mistakes on my grammar and how I handle the class. So after a few minutes, they sent me the result. And again I failed.

I feel so tired in the ESL companies that requires a video call so I researched to some companies that have an Audio class only. I saw the Hitutor it is a Taiwanese company and I like it. After I failed my Rarejob interview I made a video of myself like conducting a class because that's one of the requirements of the Hitutor. After I made and edit the video, I passed it to their e-mail. But after many days, I still haven't heard a news from them. So I knew I didn't passed to their requirements. Maybe they don't like my video demo. (haha seriously)

So I failed again.

Then I decided again to apply for another company. It's Acadsoc. It's was recommended by my sister because her friend is working there. So I gave it a try. It's a Chinese company by the way. I passed again my resume then arranged the interview on Skype. My skype interview was also the same just like the others. You need to open your webcam while they are not. So basically you cannot see them. After again I passed the interview and I need to do a quick demo. The interviewer pretended to be the student. I did what I need to do. I'm not 100%  sure that I am going to be accepted. So after minutes of waiting of the result, I passed it! I was so shocked and happy that time. 

So they arranged with me the training, they  even give me the access to their website. I need to make an audio so that the students can book my class, I also submitted the picture make an introduction about my self, download their systems & something like that so my profile will be activated and be done with the requirements. By the way, it's has a specific time when do you have to finish that requirements. The supervisor was so choosy so I need to repeat many times my audio sample to be done. (lol)

The training in Acadsoc was a group call in Skype. So it's kinda awkward and not that comfortable because you are with other trainee. I still feel like I'm the beginner there because the other people in that call has already an experienced. So yep. It lasted for almost 3 agony hours! it's not a good training to be honest. It is better if they let the trainee to understand the system on their own because that's the easiest way not the group call who will just ask questions and that's not effective at all.

After that, we are assigned to have a final demo. My first demo: the student was absent! I wasted my time to prepare myself and the system. So I was rescheduled again for the final demo. I checked again the student profile and study the material for her. I expect that I will be teaching the basic lessons and then the student will be some kid that is in her elementary level based on her profile. But I was wrong! She turned out to be a college student! I became so suspicious and I knew now that she is NOT a real Chinese student but still an Acadsoc employee. She changed the material that is very far from the material that I will supposed to teach her. It's about the Olympic of Brazil (wth) So what to expect right? I didn't conduct the class well because of that sudden change of situation. It really proved and sinked in to my mind that they will sabotage your application if they don't really want to hire you. I exerted many efforts to this company but all of it was wasted. My experience to this company was horrible! I will not really recommend you to apply to this because they are also many deductions and there's a discriminntion going on there because you cannot tell your nationality to the students. like wth. It's NOT also a flexible job for a part time because there's a specific time for part times only 7-11 PM mostly like what in the other companies. Don't be fooled by this company.


But after that. I lose hope. I feel like I am doing nothing to home everyday. I feel exhausted. But after days of hesitation, I give again the Hitutor a try. I still have hope to it because I did't hear a rejection from them. So I passed again the requirement for demo. But this time, it's only Audio recording. I pretended to be a teacher at the same time a Taiwanese student also. (haha) I did that after I wake up one morning and decided to try again.

After that I submitted again the resume and the audio to their e-mail. After 3 days, the moment I came back from home from my evening class I check my e-mail and I finally received an e-mail from them! My heart beats fast and when I opened it said they received it and they are going to process it. I feel so happy that time! because finally my demo was noticed!

After days, I received again an e-mail from them and this time they said I'm hired! I am really happy! I jumped from my happiness (haha) I thanked God because this is the company that I really like in the first place. My heart contain a real happiness that time. 

Honestly, while I am applying to other companies. I am still thinking about Hitutor because that is really the company that I would like to work for. I even prayed that to God everytime I went to sleep. I like how it is only an audio class, how not complicated the application process.. No interview on skype or phone. No group training. It's all in the e-mail. The most important when applying to Hitutor is the audio demo class sample. That's the key. If they like it, the application will be very smooth. No group training. You have to study it by your own and they will provide a very simple and easy video for you to understand. I really like how uncomplicated this company. PLUS, it's really a flexible job. You can plot your own schedules. But you need to plot it for one month. But, don't worry you can change it everytime you want because as I've said you are the one who can control your schedule.
It's really perfect for the part-time workers.

Looking back to my failed application before, I thanked God for that because it gave me experiences. I didn't get hired to 51Talk, Rarejob, and Acadsoc because all this time God plans me with Hitutor. He just need to see me that I should try and try and never give up because He will give it to me if it's meant for me and He did. 

Eventhough the con about Hitutor is that it has a low salary compare to the other companies. But I am totally fine with it, to think that I am only a part time worker and still a student. It's enough. I can save money for future uses. I can give money to my parents to pay for our internet. I can buy things for myself. And it proves that it's enough for me. 

It took a long journey before I made it but I must say it's worth it. I am very thankful for this experiences and it gives me the reminder to never ever give up to any challenges.



No comments:

Post a Comment